Maharashtra is a state in the western part of India has a very significant role
to play in the development of modern education in India, Maharashtra’s has one Central
University, twenty-one Deemed Universities and nineteen State Universities in Maharashtra
to boast of.
There are as many as 19 State Universities in Maharashtra that cater to a variety
of courses in differed disciplines of study. Some of them include:
- The four State Universities in Maharashtra that are dedicated to the study of Agriculture
and its related subjects.
- Besides Agriculture, veterinary science and fisheries is also encouraged and one
of the Universities in Maharashtra is solely for the study of these two subjects.
- Another of the Universities in Maharashtra is open only to women who can enrol in
it. Both undergraduate and postgraduate courses are offered to women in a number
of subjects and areas of study.
- A State university of Sanskrit has been set up the view to encourage the study of
the ancient Indian language.
- One of the biggest Universities in Maharashtra is that of medicine and health care
which has more than 30 medical colleges, nursing colleges and other para medical
colleges affiliated to it.
- A University in Maharashtra is dedicated to the engineering and technology studies.
- A State Open university in Maharashtra functions for the benefit of the students
in rural areas.
There are more than 20 deemed Universities in Maharashtra and they offer various
courses which include defence studies and Populations Studies.
There is only one Central University in Maharashtra which caters to the study of
Hindi, the national language of the country. It is located in Wardha, Maharashtra.
An autonomous Private University is situated in Pune, is affiliated to the State
Government as well the California University, USA.