Gujarat a state lying in the western part of India is referred to as the Jewel of the West. The state is educationally very rich and is home to 13 state universities and four agricultural universities. One of the premier Universities in Gujarat is the university situated in Vadodara. It is one of the oldest Universities in Gujarat. The university is most well –known for the Fine Arts department. It is also the only University in Gujarat where the medium of instruction is in English.
Besides this very well-known university there are:
- Universities in Gujarat in almost every major district of the state, providing almost all the courses of study ranging from General studies in Arts, Science and Commerce to Engineering and Technology, Medicine, Law, Management and many others.
- The State Universities in Gujarat have programs ranging from the undergraduate to the postgraduate and research programs.
- There are four Agricultural Universities in Gujarat that offer undergraduate, postgraduate and research programs in courses ranging from Agriculture and Horticulture to Dairy Farming and Environmental Engineering and Home Science besides Management courses.
- A number of institutions of National Importance are located in Gujarat and they include the National Institute of Design, Indian Institute of Management, Indian Institute of Technology and National Institute of Technology.
- A University of Law is located in the capital city of Gujarat and is considered to be the 5th best law university in India.
- One of the Universities in Gujarat is dedicated to the study of environmental planning which also offers Architecture as one of its courses.
Research Programs in the Universities of Gujarat
Top priority is given to research program at the Universities in Gujarat:
- One of the most reputed of them all is the space research centre.
- Research centre for salt and marine chemicals has been established under the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research Government of India.