Today Sikkim is turning out to be one of the major educational hub though the focus is more on catering to the local requirements of the state. The young boys and girls after completing their higher secondary education need to travel to other states for higher education facilities and the focus of the government is to restrict their migration by enhancing the facilities and the number of colleges within the state in which they are successful, slowly but steadily. A sign of this development is the establishment of the Sikkim University which began its operations in 2008. The medium of instruction in most of the schools and colleges in Sikkim is in English.
Professional Colleges in Sikkim
One of the largest educational institution is the university of technological studies in which all the disciplines of engineering, medicine and management are open for admissions.
- Two polytechnics that are managed by the State Government also functions in the state. They also offer diploma courses in various disciplines of engineering as well as technology
- The government has established Law colleges in sikkim to impart education in Legal studies and both the Bachelors and the Master’s degree programs are provided
- Medical colleges in Sikkim have been established by the government and all the related courses are made available to the students there including nursing and para-medical courses.
- The Buddhist studies is given priority in the institution that has been established for the educational development of studies on Tibet
- Vocational training is also imparted in some colleges in Sikkim to develop the handicrafts of Sikkim.
In most of the engineering and technological courses the minimum requirement is a pass in the higher secondary board examination or the +2 level examinations with physics, chemistry, Mathematics and Computer Science or biology. The duration of the each course is 4years. For the Polytechnics, the eligibility is a pass in the grade10th school examination.