Defence studies courses and career options
Defence studies deals with the education of military systems and national security. The courses are crafted to create the awareness of the defence and their strategies among the civilians of the country.
Courses offered and their eligibility details:
- B.A. Defence and Strategic Studies: The academic eligibility for the three year course is passing in 10+2 from a recognized board.
- B.Sc. Defence Studies: The academic eligibility for the three year course is passing in 10+2 from a recognized board.
- M.A. (Defence and Strategic Studies/Defence and National Security Studies): Graduation in any discipline is the eligibility criteria for few of the colleges and few other colleges compel the graduation in the relevant study i.e., Defence and Strategic Studies for the admission.
- M.Sc. Defence studies: the graduation in Defence and Strategic Studies is the eligibility for the admission
- M.Phil. Defence and Strategic Studies: A Master Degree in the discipline with 55%. The score in the written test, and sometimes interview, is considered for the admission. Few of the institutes offer the course in distance or pat time mode.
- Ph.D. in Defence Studies: A Master Degree in the discipline with 55%. The score in the written test is considered for the admission.
Few colleges take admission for Master Degree through written test only for those who are from non-defence studies in graduation. Persons serving in the Indian Armed Forces can get direct admission for the Master Degree programs in those colleges without any written test or interview.
The discipline also include few other subjects like Military Science, Military Sociology, Military History, Defence Economics, Map Reading, Fire safety and management, security management, disaster management, security and counter intelligence. Graduation, Diploma and Post Graduate courses are also offered in these subjects also.
Career Prospect and the Payment details:
One has end number of opportunities in the discipline. The major of them are in the following fields.
- Air force
- Coast Guard
- Security agencies
- Tactical Services
- Fire security
Army/Navy/Air Force: The graduates of the stream are eligible for being Commissioned Officers and Ground duty Officer in these fields. Few other job roles are Indian Defence Officer, Military Intelligence Specialist, Research Officer etc. For working in Army, one must pass through the exams conducted by Short Service Commission. The maximum age limit is 27. The payment depends on the positions and the average can be Rupees 6,000/- per month.
Teaching profession: Teacher, lecturer, Assistant Professor and Professor are the major occupations of the field. For being a teacher, the candidate must possess a bachelor degree in the stream besides the bachelor degree in education. Teacher Eligibility Test (TET/CTET) is an eligibility test for being qualified as a teacher. National Eligibility Test (NET) is the test for getting eligibility for lectureship and also for getting an opportunity for the fellowship grant. The starting salary for the lecturer is Rupees 10,000/- and above per month.
Security: National Security Advisor and Security Manager are the major roles in the security field. In private sector, several sector provide opportunities. The Researchers have opportunities in Institute of Defence Studies and Analyses (IDSA) in the position of Research Associate. Fresh candidates are offered Rs. 8,000/- and above per month.
Journalism: writing articles for the news papers or magazines or working for publishing houses is the possible option. The writing works related to the sector are bit different from other types of writings. Thus, the graduates of the stream are in demand for such writings. The journalists gain around Rs. 7,000/- and above per month.
Defence Studies provides prospective career options that number of the aspirants choosing the stream is increasing gradually.