A Bachelor’s degree in Physical Education is aimed to empower the candidate with all the knowledge pertaining to sports and fitness. Over the duration of the course, the candidate gains complete knowledge about different sports, their rules and technicalities. Methods of physical preparation of athletes, differential physical training for various age groups and sports categories, right nutrition and the body’s healing process are topics taught as part of the curriculum. Different motivating and coaching techniques including knowledge of the latest technologies and equipment are also taught. In keeping with the trends; some institutes have also added sports management as a part of the curriculum.
Two factors have led to a distinct increase in the demand for trained physical education experts now more than ever before. Firstly, changing lifestyles have caused an alarming degradation of physical fitness amongst younger generation, a fact very clearly recognized by parents and guardians. And secondly, with more and more Indian athletes’ proving their mettle on global platforms, it is being recognized that the right training and guidance can help young athletes realize their potential and that can only be provided by a trained practitioner.
The importance of trained physical education experts is being realized across the board from schools and colleges to sports and recreational clubs, sports management firms and government aided institutions.
- Most institutions have the course duration spread across one calendar year (split across Semesters)*
- Along with theoretical study the course includes extensive on-field training
- Candidates who have successfully completed their graduation, in any stream, from a recognized university can apply*
- Handicapped people and pregnant women cannot apply for this course
Note – Certain institutes also have a 3-4* year comprehensive degree specializing in Physical education
*Advisory - This information is subject to change and/or may vary across institutions. It should be reconfirmed with institutes’ admission offices.
Candidates who are passionate about sports and are keen on pursuing a career in this space should look at pursuing this course. A lot of athletes undertake this course to gain better understanding for their own selves as well as to accentuate their employability by organizations and clubs in the longer run. Teaching and coaching sports is a natural direction for candidates who pursue this course, therefore personality traits like patience, discipline and self- motivation are desirable.
- Changing perspectives about fitness and improving opportunities for Indian sports people are factors which have led to increased focus on physical education across the board.
- All schools, colleges and other educational institutions are mandated to have a trained physical education instructor as a part of their faculty
- Government aided sports bodies, boards and training camps hire physical training experts for their coaching and management
- In the private space, increase in number of local sports clubs, sports management companies and sports related event organizers also require trained staff on an ongoing basis