About KEAM Entrance Exam
The Kerala Engineering Agricultural Medical or KEAM is the qualifying set of Examinations that is conducted for candidates aspiring to take up any of the professional Bachelor’s degree courses in the stream of Engineering Agriculture and Medicine. The KEAM entrance exam is conducted by the Commissioner of Entrance examination with is the body authorized for the same by the Government of Kerala. One of the specialties of the KEAM Entrance Exam is that it is the only examination in India that is conducted directly by the State Government as against other states in India, where the either the State or the Central universities that conduct the entrance examinations for the professional courses in other states.
There are a number of factors that determine the eligibility criteria and they include:
- Nativity: Unless notified otherwise the KEAM Entrance Examination is open for students who are Indian Nationals, Persons of Indian origin or PIO and Overseas Citizen of India or OCI.
- Keralite: Candidates are deemed to be Keralites, if they are of Kerala origin. Others who belong to this category are the children of parents who are working under the Government of India in the Kerala Cadre, but they are not eligible for any other privileges, concessions or reservations.
- Non Keralite Category: are those candidates who are not of Kerala origin, but fulfill a number of specifications.
- Non Keralite Category II : a category that allows candidates who are neither Keralites nor Non- Keralites to be eligible for seats under the management quota.
- Age: Candidates should have completed 17 years of age and the maximum age limit is not restricted.
Entrance Exam Syllabus
The KEAM Entrance exam syllabus is based on that of the 10 + 2 / Higher Secondary and the subjects on which the examination is conducted include Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Mathematics. For a place in the rank list, at least 10 marks must be scored in each of the subjects in which the examination was taken by the candidate.
How to apply
For all candidates wanting to know How to apply, the complete information is provided on the KEAM website as well as the website of the Commissioner of Entrance Examinations. Application must be filled online and submitted along with the required fees of Rs.1000/- (General) and Rs.500/- (SC/ST) and all the required documents.
Entrance Exam Pattern
The Entrance Exam pattern is made up of two parts. The first part is Physics and Chemistry is common for both medicine and engineering. The second part has Mathematics for Engineering and Biology for Medicine. Each paper is of 2 hours 30 minutes duration in which 120 questions must be answered. Each question carries 4 marks and 1 mark is deducted for every wrong answer from the total.
How to prepare KEAM
Preparing for the KEAM entrance examination is like any other, but it’s best to revise thoroughly the syllabus of the +2 / Higher Secondary Science subjects. Revising previous year’s question papers are a very good method for speed and accuracy.