Statistics is an experimental and observational study. The discipline deals with
collection, analyzing and interpretation of the data. The Applied Statistics, theoretical
statistics and mathematical statistics are the major streams of the subject. Statistics
can be applied to different disciplines like computing, social sciences mathematics
or the arts. It is the subject that mentions certain estimations like error probability,
reliability or dependability of the experiment etc.
The new tendencies in statistics are relating the stream with subjects of different
areas for different purposes; like astronomical data evaluation, data from chemistry
for the analysis, analysis of disease, risk analysis of insurance and finance companies,
Courses available and their academic eligibility criteria:
- Certificate course in Statistics: pre-university examination or equivalent
- Certificate in Financial Statistics: pre-university examination or equivalent
- Diploma in statistics: Few universities or institutes offer Diploma program with
the eligibility of passing in 10+2 but few others with the eligibility of B.A./B.Sc./B.Com.
from a recognized university or equivalent with the knowledge of Mathematics at
- Post Graduate Diploma in Statistics: Diploma in Statistics or equivalent
- Post Graduate Diploma in Applied Statistics: Diploma in Statistics or equivalent
- Post Graduate Diploma in Applied Statistics with Software: Diploma in Statistics
- B.Stat. (Hons): Passing in 10+2 with Mathematics as a subject
- B.Sc. Statistics (Hons.): Passing in 10+2 with Mathematics as a subject
- B.Sc. Applied Statistics: Passing in 10+2 with Mathematics as a subject
- B.Sc. (Statistics- Mathematics -Computer Science): passing in 10+2 with Mathematics
as a subject
- M.Stat.: B.Stat./ B.Sc. with Statistics as a subject or equivalent
- M.Sc. Statistics: B.Stat./ B.Sc. with Statistics as a subject or equivalent
- M.Sc. Applied Statistics: B.Stat./ B.Sc. with Statistics as a subject or equivalent
- M.Sc. Medical Statistics: B.Stat./ B.Sc. with Statistics as a subject or equivalent
- M.Phil. Statistics: a Master degree in statistics
- Ph.D. Statistics: a Master Degree in statistics
Few of the certificate and Diploma courses are offered in distant mode also. Few
degree and post graduate courses include entrance test in the admission process.
Teaching sector stands top in the choice of statistic students. The opportunities
are in both the Government and Private Institutes. Teacher in school, Lecturer or
Professor in college or University are the basic opportunities in the teaching field.
B.Ed. and CTET (Central Teacher Eligibility Test) or TET (Teacher Eligibility Test)
is the Eligibility Criteria for a Teacher. National Eligibility Test (NET) or State
Level Eligibility Test (SLET) is the eligibility criteria for Lectureship. Assistant
professor, Dean, Head of the Department, Principal, and Head Master are few other
openings. There is always a great demand for skilled mathematicians in the teaching
The payment for a school teacher ranges 10,000 to 50,000. And for a Lecturer or
Professor, the pay varies from 35,000 to 75,000. Many teachers choose to have their
own institutes as their bread and butter which fill enough of their pockets.
Apart from teaching, there are openings in the organizations like Indian Institute
of Space Science and Technology, Indian Statistical Institute, Indian Economics
Service, Research Institutes, Indian Air Force, Analytical technology companies
and consultation companies. Quality Analysis, risk analyst or operation analyst
are few more chances. Banks are another good option. The remuneration in the above
sectors starts from 20,000.
Statistics possess a bright and prospective career options and thus is the cup of
tea of many aspirants.