Political Science is the umbrella term for public administration, public law, political
theory and political methodology. The discipline has its influence on various fields
like law, psychology and economics. It can be said that the term was established
in 19th century with its roots in 500 B.C.
The discipline deals with the systems of the government and their behavior. Politics
is an integrated part of society. The knowledge of the science of the politics is
important for every citizen of the country. The courses of the discipline are aimed
to enhance the analytical skills in understanding the politics and to inherit the
knowledge of the Indian Political system.
Courses offered and the academic eligibility of the courses:
- Post Graduate Diploma in Indian Political System and Good Governance: Graduation
in any of the discipline from a recognized university
- B.A. (Political Science): Passing in 10+2
- B.A. (Hons.)( Political Science): Passing in 10+2
- B.A. (Politics): Passing in 10+2
- M.A. (Political Science): Graduation in any of the discipline from a recognized
- M.A. (International Relations and Political Science): Graduation in any of the discipline
from a recognized university. Few of the colleges seek graduation in Political Science
for the admission
- M.A. (Political Science and Public Administration): Graduation in any of the discipline
from a recognized university
- M. Phil. (Political Science): Master’s degree in Political Science
- M. Phil. (Politics): Master’s degree in Political Science
- M. Phil. (International Politics): Master’s degree in Political Science
- Ph.D. (International Politics): Master’s degree in Political Science
- Ph.D. (Political Science): Master’s degree in Political Science
- Ph.D. (Politics): Master’s degree in Political Science
Few of the courses are offered in distance mode also. For the admission in few higher
degrees, the entrance test is compulsory.
Political science eligible one to work in any of the following:
- Civil Services
- Government or Non Government Administrative Departments
- Colleges and Universities
- Social Work Organizations
- Public Relation areas
- Politics or in political parties
Preparing for civil services is the choice of many aspirants which allows playing
major roles of the administration. UPSC is the commission which conducts the exam
for the recruitment in All India, Central and State Services. Indian Administrative
Service (IAS), Indian Police Service (IPS) and Indian Foreign Service (IFS) are
few of the services that recruit through the commission. The subject experts are
the best for being public servants working in the government departments.
Government or Non Government Administrative Departments: Political Science covers
most of the Administrative techniques that the person of the discipline is eligible
for the Administrative Departments in Government and Private Organizations. The
one who wishes to settle in the government job may also choose state government
or local government administrative organizations.
Teaching is another major option. The teachers are recruited for the subject Social
Science. B.Ed. and passing in TET or CTET are the requirements for the School teacher.
Post graduation as well as passing in the National Eligibility Test (NET) is the
requirement for attaining lectureship. Passing in NET with good score also provides
the chance to gain the Fellowship. Ph.D. holders are recruited as Associate Professors,
Professors, Readers and Registrars.
Politics or in political parties:
One can enter politics and participate in elections or work in any of the political
parties as political commentator, public opinion analyst etc.
The minimum pay for a fresh graduate is Rs. 5000/- and above. The experienced or
highly qualified is offered better amount. The higher positions draw around Rs.
50,000/- and above per month with all allowances.
Thus, the discipline offers prospective career that many enthusiasts choose it as