Political Science is the umbrella term for public administration, public law, political theory and political methodology. The discipline has its influence on various fields like law, psychology and economics. It can be said that the term was established in 19th century with its roots in 500 B.C.
The discipline deals with the systems of the government and their behavior. Politics is an integrated part of society. The knowledge of the science of the politics is important for every citizen of the country. The courses of the discipline are aimed to enhance the analytical skills in understanding the politics and to inherit the knowledge of the Indian Political system.
Courses offered and the academic eligibility for Political Science Courses
- Post Graduate Diploma in Indian Political System and Good Governance: Graduation in any of the discipline from a recognized university
- B.A. (Political Science): Passing in 10+2
- B.A. (Hons.)( Political Science): Passing in 10+2
- B.A. (Politics): Passing in 10+2
- M.A. (Political Science): Graduation in any of the discipline from a recognized university
- M.A. (International Relations and Political Science): Graduation in any of the discipline from a recognized university. Few of the colleges seek graduation in Political Science for the admission
- M.A. (Political Science and Public Administration): Graduation in any of the discipline from a recognized university
- M. Phil. (Political Science): Master’s degree in Political Science
- M. Phil. (Politics): Master’s degree in Political Science
- M. Phil. (International Politics): Master’s degree in Political Science
- Ph.D. (International Politics): Master’s degree in Political Science
- Ph.D. (Political Science): Master’s degree in Political Science
- Ph.D. (Politics): Master’s degree in Political Science
Read about Political Science Courses
Few of the courses are offered in distance mode also. For the admission in few higher degrees, the entrance test is compulsory.
Career prospect for Political Science Courses
Political science eligible one to work in any of the following:
- Civil Services
- Government or Non Government Administrative Departments
- Colleges and Universities
- Social Work Organizations
- Public Relation areas
- Politics or in political parties
Preparing for civil services is the choice of many aspirants which allows playing major roles of the administration. UPSC is the commission which conducts the exam for the recruitment in All India, Central and State Services. Indian Administrative Service (IAS), Indian Police Service (IPS) and Indian Foreign Service (IFS) are few of the services that recruit through the commission. The subject experts are the best for being public servants working in the government departments.
Government or Non Government Administrative Departments: Political Science covers most of the Administrative techniques that the person of the discipline is eligible for the Administrative Departments in Government and Private Organizations. The one who wishes to settle in the government job may also choose state government or local government administrative organizations.
Teaching is another major option. The teachers are recruited for the subject Social Science. B.Ed. and passing in TET or CTET are the requirements for the School teacher. Post graduation as well as passing in the National Eligibility Test (NET) is the requirement for attaining lectureship. Passing in NET with good score also provides the chance to gain the Fellowship. Ph.D. holders are recruited as Associate Professors, Professors, Readers and Registrars.
Politics or in political parties
One can enter politics and participate in elections or work in any of the political parties as political commentator, public opinion analyst etc.
Pay / Scale for Political Science Courses
The minimum pay for a fresh graduate is Rs. 5000/- and above. The experienced or highly qualified is offered better amount. The higher positions draw around Rs. 50,000/- and above per month with all allowances.
Thus, the discipline offers prospective career that many enthusiasts choose it as career.