Physical Education courses and career options
Physical Education is the education about the physique of the body. The discipline
deals with the proper maintenance of the fitness of the body with the physical exercises
and games. It is recognized that the physical fitness is rather important for the
mental fitness. Thus, the physical education has been initiated right from the primary
schooling. Apart from that many organizations conduct competitions in different
games and activities.
It is very necessary to learn these games and activities with proper techniques
to avoid hurting oneself. So, people learn the activities from a qualified instructor.
Government jobs of the several fields like Army and Airlines hold the reservation
for the sports person. And also many companies provide the achievers additional
scores according to the achievement during interview leaving higher chances of appointments.
Courses offered and the eligibility criteria:
- Certificate in Aerobics and fitness: Graduation from a recognized university is
the eligibility for the six months course
- Certificate in Physical Education: Passing in 10+2
- Diploma in Physical Education: Passing in 10+2 is the eligibility for the one year
- Post Graduate Diploma in Adapted Physical Education: Graduation from a recognized
- Post Graduate Diploma in Sports Management: Graduation from a recognized university
- Post Graduate Diploma in Movement Education: Graduation from a recognized university
- B.A. in Physical Education: Passing in 10+2 is the eligibility for the three years
- B.Ed. in Physical Education: Graduation from a recognized university
- B.P.Ed.: passing in in 10+2 is the eligibility for the 3 years course
- M.P.Ed.: Graduation from a recognized university
- M. Phil. (Physical Education): Master’s Degree in Physical Education from a recognized
- Ph.D. (Physical Education): Master’s Degree in Physical Education from a recognized
Many of the courses include written test and fitness test for the admission.
The following are the major job roles in the discipline:
- Coach: One can be the coach of any particular sports for either a person or a team.
The Sports associations also recruit coaches.
- Trainer: One can be a personal trainer or a trainer in any fitness center. Many
celebrities appoint a personal trainer who could keep a continuous check up over
the fitness of the body and train accordingly. Many fitness centers also recruit
trainers to train their customers in respected timings. Self employment or initiating
own fitness center is also a good option.
- Physical Education Teacher: It is a compulsion that all schools including government
and private must have physical education teacher. B.P.Ed. and B.Ed. is the eligibility
for the job role.
- Sports person: The aspirant of the discipline can choose any of the sports he is
talented in and can participate in the competitions conducted. Many of the competitions
are conducted from district wise to world-wide. The government encourages the achievers
with certain prize amount or honorary gifts according to the level of the competition.
The average payment to the fresh trainers or coaches is Rs. 5000/-. The experienced
and highly qualified are paid very high. The teachers are paid equal to the other
The one who is fit can choose the discipline and have a prosperous career.