Geography courses and career options
Geography basically deals with the physical Earth. The discipline helps us to understand
the details of Earth like the physical features of the Earth, population, soil,
climate etc. The modern Geography has expanded into several branches - Physical
Geography, Political Geography, Human Geography, Integrated Geography, Geomatics
and Regional Geography. These branches help us to segregate the details of the Earth.
The advancing technology has influenced even the discipline that several sophisticated
techniques are been introduced for better researching purpose.
The branch can be even said the combination of science and social science. Thus,
those who are interested in both the subjects choose the combined subject. The courses
of the discipline are updated as per the contemporary requirements.
Courses offered and the eligibility criteria:
- Certificate Courses in Geographic Information Systems: Bachelor degree from a recognized
university or equivalent
- Advanced Diploma in Computer Assisted Cartography: Bachelor degree from a recognized
university or equivalent
- Advanced Diploma in Remote Sensing and GIS Applications: Bachelor degree from a
recognized university or equivalent
- B.A. Geography: Passing in 10 +2
- M.A. Geography: Graduation, with Geography as one of the subjects, from a recognized
- M.A. Geo Informatics: Graduation, with Geography as one of the subjects, from a
- M.A. Geology: Graduation, with Geography as one of the subjects, from a recognized
- M.phil. Geography: Master’s Degree in Geography with at least 55%
- M.Phil. Political Geography: Master’s Degree in Geography or equivalent with at
- Ph.D. Geography: Master’s Degree in Geography with at least 55%
- Ph.D. Political Geography: Master’s Degree in Geography with at least 55%
For few of the courses, the score in the admission test is considered for the admission.
The major opportunities are found in Forestry, Airports, Surveying Departments,
Planning and Development Commission, Education, Space Organizations, Health care,
Environmental and disaster management departments etc. These geographers also work
for remote sensing, GPS and GIS.
Few of the major job titles are
- Surveyor: The Surveying Departments need geographers as surveyors or to lead the
group of surveyors. The one who is specialized in Economic geography is the best
suited for the job role.
- Tourism planner: Many tourism companies need the person studied tourism geography
for constructive and comprehensive planning of the tours.
- Cartographer: The person is responsible for map making of an area or of the Earth.
The person is appointed in Space and Satellite technological organizations, Book
publishing houses or construction companies.
- Agricultural Officers: The person who studied Agricultural geography deals with
the competitive demands for agricultural land use and non-agricultural land use.
- Teacher/Lecturer/Professor: Teaching is one of the major options. The teachers are
recruited for the subject Social Science. B.Ed. and passing in TET or CTET are the
requirements for the School teacher besides the Bachelor Degree in the subject.
Post graduation as well as passing in the National Eligibility Test (NET) is the
requirement for attaining lectureship. Passing in NET with good score also provides
the chance to gain the Fellowship. Ph.D. holders are recruited as Associate Professors,
Professors, Readers and Registrars.
The pay for a fresh Graduate can be around Rs.6000/- per month on an average, as
per the job role. The experienced and highly qualified are drawing around Rs. 30,000/-
and above per month.
The subject is a prospective discipline that provides a successful career.