Since centuries, importing and exporting the goods from country to country or place
to place has been in practice to
- Get the goods which are not available in the locality or send the surplus goods
which are not available in other localities
- Create a positive rapport with other countries
- To understand the culture of other places etc.
Though the basic reasons are same even today, the developments in the trading have
customized the channel into a huge sector, creating number of job opportunities
to the aspirants. The sector contributed great share in the globalization. Various
big and small companies became part of the sector contributing major part in the
growth of Indian economy. All of those companies need a professional or expert in
the field for the effortless importing or exporting.
Certificate program in Export-Import and Diploma in Export Import Management are
the major programs in the discipline. The courses include the topics like selection
of product and market, shipment procedures, registration process, submission of
exports, export incentives, central excise, current export import policy, foreign
trade policy, administration techniques, Inco terms etc.
The qualification helps one
- to hone the analytical skills to identify export opportunities
- to understand the documentation formalities
- to develop the approach to integrate the import management at corporate level
These programs are basically designed for those who are working in officer cadres
in private or public organizations for the career advancement. Yet, any diploma
or degree holders can pursue the courses. Few institutes also facilitate the students
who are undergoing any other regular course to take up the course.
Those who choose the career must have wide basic knowledge at the initial stage
The major job roles are
- Export Marketing Manager
- Documentation Executive
- Import Export Officer/Executive/Manager
- Sea freight coordinator
- Commercial expert
- Purchase manager
- Import executive
The industries that offer the positions are shipping companies, foreign trade companies,
Export credit agencies, overseas companies, companies and industries that export
or import goods, export houses, food product companies that export the products
Chief responsibilities of an import export specialist are
- Get conformance with the customs rules and regulations
- Conferring with the customs agents for the disturbance free shipment
- Counseling the clients regarding the information like insurance etc
- Suggesting the clients on the possible savings from the taxes and duties
- Following the coding systems and classifying the shipments according to the system
- Finding efficient packaging techniques.
Apart from the above the person is also expected the data management, sales related
information management, logistics, statutory compliance, administration, supply
chain and accounts management.
Many companies offer the fresh candidate of the position around Rs. 10,000 and above.
Experienced are offered more. It is suggested to have a Management or Logistic degree
to attain better opportunities.
Thus, Import and export provide potential career path that has good scope of career